Chapters 1-3 of “Brave New World”
Today we discussed the social context in which Huxley was writing, and some of the allusions found in the first three chapters. The Cornell outline can be found here: bnw_cornell
You should now be able to answer the following questions. We will be discussing them in class on Tuesday. Have a great long weekend!
- Who is the D.H.C.?
- What is Bokanovsky’s Process?
- Explain why Bokanovsky’s Process is one of the major instruments of social stability.
- What is the point of conditioning?
- Why are the babies being conditioned to hate books and flowers?
- How is the conditioning reinforced?
- What is the name of the deity in this world?
- Why is “mother” such an obscene word?
- How is Bernard Marx different from his associates?
- Why does Lenina want to go out with Bernard?
- What is soma?