Answer these questions in point form.
- What does the opening sentence suggest about the book?
Irony, Language/Logic, Character:
- The name “Winston” means “from a friendly country.” “Smith” is a common last name. From these names, can you suggest a possible irony?
- Also, consider the association of Winston Smith with Winston Churchill. What similarities do you see between the two?
- What else do we know about Winston concerning his age, abilities, and occupation?
- What are the Party mottos? What is unusual about them?
- What is Newspeak?
- What is its purpose? (A look at the Appendix might be helpful here.)
- Why is it essential for the Party to rid the language of synonyms and antonyms?
- Who is Big Brother and what is the significance of his name?
- What is facecrime? Why is it so easy to commit?
- How does the Party control history? Why?
- Who is Emmanuel Goldstein and how is he presented to the people of Oceania?
- What is the probable significance of using the obviously Jewish name?