The following question should be answered with as much detail as possible drawing upon specific examples from the novel. Question #6 requires a great deal of thought and attention!
1) In what way (according to O’Brien) is the domination desired by the “Party” different than the world domination desired by the Nazi’s and the early communists?
2) Why is there no hope that the “Proles” will ever revolt and overthrow the “Party”?
3) Why is it important to the “Party” for Winston to betray Julia?
4) What is the importance of the “Chestnut Tree Cafe”?
5) What will happen to Winston?
6) Is the 1984 society possible? In what ways are elements of 1984 already here to lesser or greater degrees?