1) Do you think Claudius and Polonius overhear Hamlet’s famous soliloquy?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having them hear his speech?
2) Rewrite the “To be, or not to be” speech in everyday language.
3) What is the significance of Hamlet titling the play written for the players “The Mousetrap”?
4) Rosencrantz uses a metaphor to express a subject’s duty to one’s king. Explain the metaphor. What is another metaphor that would work as well in explaining the importance of the king’s wellbeing.
5) Why can’t the King expect God to forgive him for killing Hamlet’s father?
6) Why does Hamlet shift to speaking in poetry when talking to his mother?
7) Hamlet reveals his plans to trick Rosencrantz & Guildenstern to his mother.
Why does he do this? Why doesn’t his mother tell Claudius of his plan?